A box of your favorite cigars will make any vacation better, but you can’t just toss the cigars into your luggage and go. If you fly to your destination, your suitcase will weather fluctuations in temperature, which will be disastrous to your cigars.
Changes in humidity are the number one enemy of cigars. This is why cigars are kept in humidors, which are designed to maintain optimal air moisture ranging between 68 and 72 percent. Humidors can add or remove moisture as needed to help the cigars age properly.
Cigars need to be kept at optimal humidity levels in order to preserve their character and flavor. The humidor creates an environment for the cigars that is free of mold, mildew, and bacteria.
The following are ways to transport your cigars to your vacation destination:
- Travel humidors – This is your best option when flying. This humidor is airtight and watertight, in addition to being resistant to physical damage that could crush your cigars.
- Standard-size humidor – If you are traveling by land, a full humidor is the best way to transport cigars. It ensures the ideal humidity and temperature for your cigars. A full humidor, however, is not recommended if you are flying to your destination because of its size and weight.
- Airtight bag – If you are in a hurry and don’t have time to purchase a travel humidor, you can carry your cigars in a sealed bag with an impromptu humidity control such as paper towel or folded napkin. This mode of transport can keep your cigars fresh for at least a week.
- Leather cigar cases – These leather cigar travel humidors can store up to two dozen cigars. You can order finely accented cases for the classy vacationer.
- Humidor Bag – There are specially designed bags (such as the Boveda brand) that feature a two-way humidity control. They can add or remove moisture as necessary to maintain the ideal 69 percent humidity level.
- Cellophane wrapper – Many cigars come with the cellophane wrapper as a protective layer. If you can’t get your hands on a travel humidifier or pack, just keep the protective cellophane wrapper intact to provide a barrier to the elements.
Once you reach your destination, you can sit back and take in your new surroundings with a perfectly preserved cigar.